Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library is one of thirteen historic gardens designated and maintained by The Garden Club of Virginia. Each spring the grounds are on tour for Historic Garden Week for all to enjoy. The original property did not have a garden, but rather outbuildings, functional plantings, and served as grazing land for the family sheep. The gardens were designed after President Wilson’s widow provided funding to begin the Woodrow Wilson Foundation.
The gardens at the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library have evolved in three phases. The first gardens, designed in 1933 by Richmond landscape architect Charles F. Gillette was done as a project by The Garden Club of Virginia. The Victorian restoration, suitable to the 1846 construction date of the house, the gardens included two terraces, the lower one featuring boxwood-lined bowknot beds, the only bowknot garden that Gillette created. To further highlight the features of the gardens, a brick terrace and pathways, designed by landscape architect Ralph E. Griswold were erected in 1967-68.
The second phase of the garden took place in 1990, with the Rudy J. Favretti addition of a forecourt and lawn around the new Woodrow Wilson Museum and added garden walkways connecting the Museum and the rest of the grounds.
The final phase to date occurred in 2008, as the Garden Club of Virginia brought new life back to the garden by rebuilding perimeter fencing, planting new boxwoods, lilacs, hostas and perennials.